The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FLDACS) has announced that dozens of gas stations across Florida might have sold contaminated fuel, which can damage vehicles that use it. Each gas station was supplied by Citgo. If you bought contaminated fuel from Citgo and your vehicle has been damaged or is acting unusually, then you might be able to take legal action to demand compensation. Schlesinger Law Offices can help.
Our Florida fuel contamination attorneys are prepared to file against Citgo. We have a long history of taking difficult claims against major corporations and achieving great results for our clients. Our highly experienced attorneys and litigators are currently investigating the Citgo fuel contamination situation to see how we can best help people affected by this issue.
- We have more than 70 years of collective practice and trial experience.
- We have numerous multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts, including a $60-million verdict against General Motors (GM).
- We have extensive experience as trial attorneys who can handle cases to the end, from initial consultations to litigation when necessary.
- We have access to in-house resources and third-party experts, so there’s never a case that’s “too big” for us to handle.
Learn more about how we can help with your personal injury case during a free initial evaluation. Give our award winning attorneys a call at (954) 467-8800, or contact us online to schedule a time to speak with a member of our team.
$60 Million Product LiabilityThe firm obtained a $60,000,000.00 verdict against General Motors after the vehicle the McGee family was driving was engulfed in flames due to a fuel-fed fire, and Shane McGee was tragically burned to death. Gregg helped litigate the matter and prepare it for trial.
$37 Million Product LiabilityJury verdict for the family of our client, who died of lung cancer after a lifetime of smoking R.J. Reynolds and Philip Morris cigarettes.
$20 Million Product LiabilityAttorneys Scott Schlesinger and Jonathan Gdanski recently secured a $20 million jury verdict for Herbert Landi, the widower of a woman who died of lung cancer in 1999 caused by smoking cigarettes.
Potentially contaminated Citgo fuel was primarily sold in southwest and south Florida at dozens of different gas stations and convenience stores. It is believed that human error on behalf of Citgo caused regular and premium fuels that are used in most passenger vehicles to be accidentally mixed with and contaminated by diesel fuel. The FLDACS is running tests to determine which locations definitively and unknowingly sold contaminated fuel to drivers. It is estimated that the first purchases of contaminated fuel would have occurred around 10:00 AM EST on Saturday, August 26, 2023.
Currently, the below gas stations have not yet been tested and cleared by the FLDACS:
- 7-Eleven: 12750 South Cleveland Avenue, Fort Myers
- 7-Eleven: 1626 Meadow Road, Lehigh Acres
- 7-Eleven: 2401 James Redman Parkway, Plant City
- 7-Eleven: 290 Lakeland Park Road, Lakeland
- 7-Eleven: 4325 Lee Boulevard, Lehigh Acres
- 7-Eleven: 940 S Broad Street, Brooksville
- AL Prime - Daytona Beach: 1898 S. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Daytona Beach
- BJ's Wholesale: 13585 NE 86th Path, Lady Lakes
- BJ's Wholesale: 1929 Pine Island Road N.E., Cape Coral
- BJ's Wholesale: 9372 Ben C Pratt Six Mile Cypress Parkway, Fort Myers
- Bolton One LLC: 15434 US Highway 19, Hudson
- Choice Food & Gas: 310 N Central Avenue, Umatilla
- Handy Foods Store #86: 21321 Palm Beach Boulevard., Alva
- JHW #310 - DBA Avenue CITGO: 11867 N. Williams Street, Dunnellon
- Perfection Station 5: 9931 N Florida Avenue, Tampa
- Rogers Petroleum: 134 N Desoto Avenue, Arcadia
- Superday CITGO: 1595 South McCall Road, Port Charlotte
Several gas stations have been tested and cleared by FLDACS, including:
- 2K Express 5: 6202 N 40th Street, Tampa
- 7-Eleven: 13411 Fish Hawk Boulevard, Lithia
- 7-Eleven: 2604 Skyline Boulevard, Cape Coral
- 7-Eleven: 3437 US Highway 19, Holiday
- 7-Eleven: 601 Pine Island Road S.W., Cape Coral
- 7-Eleven: 6050 Dean Dairy Road, Zephyrhills
- 7-Eleven: 714 Burnt Store Road, Cape Coral
- 7-Eleven: 720 Chiquita Boulevard, North Cape Coral
- Dan's Car Wash: 39522 US Highway 19 N., Tarpon Springs
- Faulkenburg CITGO: 5320 Faulkenburg Road, Tampa
- Handy Foods Store #87: 3205 Lee Boulevard, Lehigh Acres
- Palmers Easy Stop: 903 Cattleman Road, Sarasota
- Quick & Easy Stop: 4529 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
(Diesel fuel may have been contaminated at PJI LLC at 7977 W Dunnellon Road in Dunnellon, but testing confirmed that regular and premium fuel was not contaminated.)
At Schlesinger Law Offices, we regularly work with outside experts and use our full support staff for complicated investigations and high-stakes cases like the Citgo contaminated fuel case. With their help, we will stay atop any news and updates about this unfolding situation, including FLDACS test results and conclusions. We work diligently so you can stay focused on other things happening in your life, not busy legal work.
What Can Contaminated Fuel Do to a Car?
Using diesel-contaminated fuel in a vehicle that is not designed to use diesel fuel can damage the engine. Damage may occur to the fuel injectors, pumps, and other connected portions of the engine, which could render the vehicle inoperable. If significant damage occurs, the entire engine may need to be replaced at a high cost.
Signs that your car may have been damaged by contaminated fuel include:
- Sudden power loss
- Noticeable increase in fuel consumption
- Strange noises while idling
- Hard starting
- Smoke while running
- Check-engine light
Importantly, contaminated fuel can cause damage that occurs over time. You might not notice anything wrong with your vehicle until weeks or months from when you unknowingly purchased the contaminated fuel. With this in mind, you should contact our firm if you bought the contaminated fuel, even if your car has not shown any signs of damage yet.
What Should You Do If You Bought Contaminated Fuel?
If you think you bought contaminated fuel from a Citgo-supplied gas station in Florida, you should make sure that you keep the gas station receipt. If you used a credit or debit card, your bank should keep a record of that purchase, too, which can be useful if you did not get a printed receipt.
Next, call a mechanic before you drive anywhere else. You may be advised to arrange a tow to the mechanic’s shop, so the fuel can be drained and replaced without driving the vehicle again. If you do use a tow and mechanic’s services, keep all receipts and records of those services, too.
Lastly, as mentioned, call (954) 467-8800 to talk to an attorney from Schlesinger Law Offices in South Florida. Even if your car seems fine now, the contaminated fuel could cause damage later, so it is worth learning more about your legal options today.
Damages in a Contaminated Fuel Lawsuit
The damages that could be available in a Citgo contaminated fuel lawsuit might include:
- Vehicle repair costs.
- Tow costs and other expenses.
- Reimbursement for fuel costs.
- Lost income if a vehicle defect affected your employment.
Strict product liability laws could allow people to file against Citgo for selling contaminated fuel, regardless of how the fuel became contaminated. If enough drivers come forward with a complaint against Citgo, multidistrict litigation (MDL) may become necessary, such as a class action lawsuit that groups the plaintiffs into one plaintiff class. An MDL may affect the type and amount of compensation available to you. In any situation, you can depend on Schlesinger Law Offices to fight for the full compensation that you deserve.
Contact Our Citgo Fuel Contamination Attorneys Now
You could be owed compensation if contaminated Citgo fuel damaged your vehicle. For a case this complicated, you’ll want the support of a highly experienced and resourceful law firm that knows how to get the results you need. Talk to the Citgo fuel contamination attorneys of Schlesinger Law Offices in Florida today. As a team of leading trial attorneys with reputation, experience, and landmark case results to back those up, we’re ready to fight for every dollar you’re owed.
Don’t wait. Arrange a free case evaluation by calling (954) 467-8800.
I can't thank the team of lawyers from Schlesinger Law Firm for their high quality of professionalism and persistence in pursuing my lawsuit. They always made me feel part of their family.