Hip replacements, while potentially medically necessary procedures can be incredibly risky if not done properly. Some of the most common issues associated with these surgeries include:
- Loosening of the implant: While many newer implants have corrected this problem, if the new joint is not correctly fixed to the bone or poorly made, it could loosen over the years and cause serious pain. In many cases, additional surgeries are the only way to fix this issue.
- Altered leg length: While the surgeon should take care to ensure this issue does not arise, hip implants could change the length of your leg. This can be caused by a number of issues, and may be treatable through physical therapy.
- Dislocation: The ball of the new hip joint can become dislodged, an especially prevalent issue in the months immediately following the surgery. In the most extreme cases, additional surgeries may be needed to prevent this issue from occurring.
- Fracture: Your hip joint may fracture during surgery. Smaller fractures may be able to heal on their own, but larger breaks can require bone grafts, metal plates, pins, and wires.
- Infection: Infections are among the most prevalent issues surgical patients face. Doctors need to take care to prevent the site of their patient’s incisions from getting infected, and need to take immediate action to prevent the damage from getting worse.
- Blood clots: Doctors need to take care to make sure that blood clots don’t form in their patient’s legs following surgery – if left undiagnosed, a piece of the clot could break off and travel to other parts of the body with potentially fatal consequences.
These issues are present in any hip replacement surgery, but some hip implants are far more dangerous than others. The M/L Taper Hip Prosthetic, manufactured by Zimmer Biomet Inc. was first recalled in 2015 after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a report stating that this product put patients at risk of suffering serious health complications, including potentially fatal ones.
Call the Schlesinger Law Offices, P.A. at (954) 467-8800 to discuss your legal options with an experienced Florida attorney today.
Medical device manufacturers can be incredibly daunting courtroom opponents to face down, but our Fort Lauderdale product liability attorneys at Schlesinger Law Offices, P.A. have spent decades taking on massive corporations and securing our clients the verdicts and settlements they need to move on with their lives. We understand just how difficult your situation is, and we’re committed to working with you every step of the way to make sure that you are put in the best position, and that you secure the maximum compensation possible. Contact us today to discuss your legal options with a member of our firm and begin planning out a course of action.
Learn more about how we can help with your case during a free initial evaluation. Give our award winning attorneys a call at (954) 467-8800, or contact us online to schedule a time to speak with a member of our team.
2015 M/L Taper Hip Prosthetic Recall
The FDA issues a Class 1 recall of this product, the most serious level of recall it can issues, over concerns that Zimmer Biomet’s failure to properly monitor the manufacturing process of this implant resulted in a greater amount of residue on the devices. According to the FDA,
“[T]hese residues can cause serious adverse health issues including allergic reactions, pain, infections, or death. Use of these products may require the need for a revision surgery to replace the affected implant.”
There have already been a number of lawsuits over complications caused by these products. In April of 2017, Zimmer Biomet was ordered to pay a New Mexico man more than $2 million after the judge ruled that the company’s defective design and failure to properly test its implant caused permanent harm to the injured victim.
"It is never appropriate to design a hip implant system that would create an unreasonable risk of injury to the health or safety of a patient," Judge Nan G. Nash wrote in her 27-page decision, ruling for the patient on grounds of strict products liability.
According to court documents, the judge paid special attention to the medical device company’s decision to test the hip implant’s components separately, rather than testing them together to determine whether the potential reaction could cause serious health problems in patients. In the case, she noted that using dissimilar metals often leads to an increased chance of corrosion and toxic debris. The patient in this case required additional surgeries to correct the issue, and will need to take antibiotics for the rest of his life.
Find The Right Attorney For You
When the products designed to help us get better do the exact opposite, it’s important for you to find a law firm you can count on to fight for your rights in court. For more than 60 years, Schlesinger Law Offices, P.A. has worked with injured victims throughout Florida, and through our efforts have secured hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements.
If you were seriously injured by a defective product like the Zimmer Biomet M/L Taper Hip Prosthesis, give our Fort Lauderdale product liability lawyers a call at (954) 467-8800, or fill out our online form today to set up a free case evaluation with a member of our firm.
I can't thank the team of lawyers from Schlesinger Law Firm for their high quality of professionalism and persistence in pursuing my lawsuit. They always made me feel part of their family.