As one of Florida’s most vibrant cities, Fort Lauderdale sees its fair share of motorcycle accidents. The lack of safety features inherent to motorcycles also greatly increases the risk of catastrophic or fatal injuries in the event of an accident. Even worse, motorcyclists often find it nearly impossible to recover their rightful compensation due to unfair stigma. If the motorcycle collision was caused by someone acting negligently, you have the right to take legal action for the serious injury, financial loss, or other painful damages you have sustained.
A Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident attorney from Schlesinger Law Offices, P.A. can help you fight for the compensation you deserve from all liable parties, including other drivers, vehicle manufacturers, and even government entities responsible for roadway safety.
Florida does not allow motorcyclists to have personal injury protection (aka “no-fault insurance”). Even if you have an auto insurance policy, your car insurance provider will not compensate you for damages and injuries associated with a motorcycle accident. This can make it very challenging for you to get the money you need to pay for hospital bills, rehabilitation, lost wages, and other expenses and losses you may incur after your accident.
Chances are, you probably need immediate help with your medical bills and injury-related expenses. In many cases, hiring a Ft Lauderdale motorcycle accident attorney is a great way to get a relatively fast solution to the immense costs created by motorcycle accidents. At the very least, a personal injury lawyer in South Florida can help you negotiate a short-term solution until your case reaches a verdict or settlement.
Learn more about how we can help with your personal injury case during a free initial evaluation. Give our award winning attorneys a call at (954) 467-8800, or contact us online to schedule a time to speak with a member of our team.
$2.2 Million Motorcycle AccidentsThe jury in Lee County awarded $2.18 million to Mary Mitchell, a part-time librarian who was riding her bicycle on Sanibel Island on April 4, 2015, when she was hit.
$481.5 Thousand Motorcycle AccidentsThe firm won a verdict of $481,500 for a Fort Lauderdale client who suffered a concussion and orthopedic injuries when he was hurt by a negligent driver.
Protecting Your Legal Rights After a Motorcycle Accident
If you find yourself as the victim of a motorcycle accident, here are four rules you should follow to help protect your legal rights:
- Report the Accident as Soon as It Happens - Don’t wait to notify the police and your insurance company of the accident. The sooner you report it, the sooner you can get started on the path to compensation. If you wait, you may end up forfeiting any legal right you have to compensation. That said, remember not to admit fault to anyone.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention - It is never a good idea to walk off a serious injury. When it comes to your health, it is best to err on the side of caution. See a medical professional immediately after a crash, even if your injury seems minor on the surface. Internal injuries and road rash are very common in motorcycle crashes. A doctor will ensure such injuries are treated promptly to prevent further complications and infection.
- Follow Through with Follow-Up Appointments - To preserve your health and your legal rights, make sure to go through the full length of treatment. If you do not, your injury may worsen. What’s more, skipping treatment is a surefire way to lose credibility in your case. For example, the other party may use the fact that you stopped treatment as “proof” that your injury was not so bad, regardless of whether you are still in pain.
- Never Take the First Settlement Offer - It is pretty well guaranteed that the liable party’s first settlement offer will be less than what you deserve. Make sure you know the value of your claim—calculate your damages and consult a legal professional about your rights. Then, use this knowledge to negotiate with the insurance company.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Aside from the costs of motorcycle repairs, you may be left with some massive expenses after being in a motorcycle accident, especially if you have serious injuries. Some injuries that motorcyclists commonly suffer are:
- Severe burns
- Multiple fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Why You Need an Attorney After a Motorcycle Accident in Fort Lauderdale
If you or a loved one has been injured, you may be asking yourself, “Is it worth hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer?” In short, the answer is yes.
To Manage Your Claim
For starters, a capable Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer can handle the brunt of the legal work, including:
- Investigating your case
- Obtaining witness and expert testimony
- Calculating your damages and compensation
- Negotiating with the liable insurance company
- Working with legal dates and deadlines in mind
- Compiling all data into a trial-ready lawsuit
To Fight Against Bias
Further, an attorney can also work to protect you or your loved one from being wrongfully blamed for the accident. Unfortunately, most people still view motorcycle riders through the clouded lens of bias—and the mechanics of a motorcycle don’t help. For example, the roar of the throttle may warp witnesses’ memory of just how fast the motorcycle rider was traveling. Combine this with the biased notion that all motorcycle riders are reckless, and a witness may end up believing—and testifying—that the rider was speeding. This happens even when the rider was going below the speed limit.
Injured? We’ll Advocate for You!
AA motorcycle accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale can help level the playing field, as well as work to put the advantage on your side of the court. Schlesinger Law Offices, P.A. has represented injured riders for over 70 years. We know how to overcome the various hurdles common to these cases; we also know how to get you immediate help for your medical bills and other expenses pertaining to the accident.
I can't thank the team of lawyers from Schlesinger Law Firm for their high quality of professionalism and persistence in pursuing my lawsuit. They always made me feel part of their family.